Friday, December 4, 2009

Tournament Day


Today is a national holiday in Ghana, giving most Ghanaians a day off. Unfortunately my day began at 5:30 am when I went to the pitch to check that everything was in order for todays Under 14's and Under 17's tournament. To my delight the park was already being lined and things seemed relatively under control. The canopies which we had organised to provide shade for players and supporters were yet to arrive but I wasn't too worried about this.

It was then off to Pigg Farm, where the office of Projects Abroad in Accra is situated for a 'healthwalk', which had been organised by my boss to raise awareness of the tournament. We set off at 7am in a group of around 100 people along Accra's hectic and often dangerous roads. We had 2 policemen directing us, and we were strictly told we had to walk along the middle of the road. At one stage a colleague and I were pulled from the safety of the pedestrian path onto the busy main road and told, 'Get onto the road, the street is ours'.

When we finally arrived near the pitch, I decided to make a swift exit from the procession and go to the pitch and see how things were coming along. Despite constant phonecalls I had not established what was going on, particularly with the construction of the canopies. I arrived at the pitch at around 8:30am, (the tournament was due to start at 10), and they still hadn't arrive. They finally arrived at around 8:45am on a trailer being pulled by a group of 'small boys', after the truck transporting them had apparently broken down. The next 2 hours were possibly the 2 most stressful of my life as we tried to organise their construction, as well as the player registration for the tournament.

At one stage I literally had to be split from my Ghanaian boss as we argued about the organisation of the event. He informatively told me that, 'while my skin may be black, I expect things to start on time'. I suggested to him that maybe if I had not been forced to partake in his health walk I could have ensured things were in order at the pitch. I was also unsure how I could be blamed for the late arrival of the canopies as the car carrying them had broken down.

Fortunately the canopies were erected quickly and for once the player registration went off without incident. The tournament somehow kicked off at 10:30 am, and both Cantonments sides won their semi-finals to put them through to tomorrows final. There was just time for one more heated debate with my boss regarding providing refreshments for the players. He eventually backed down, however, and handed over the 30 credis.

No comments:

Post a Comment